Paws and Learn Humane Education Center strives to promote respect, responsibility and compassion towards animals, each other, and our planet. Our goal is to encourage people of all ages to pause for a moment and learn about how their actions impact the lives of animals. As consumers we cast votes with our wallets - whether it's the food we eat, the products we use or the entertainment we support, our choices directly influence how animals get treated. As guardians animals depend on us to provide humane treatment and quality care, and to co-exist with wildlife in a peaceful, sustainable manner. Our actions can promote compassion or they can perpetuate cruelty. Paws and Learn was founded in the firm belief that education is the key to encouraging responsible and humane choices. When we become more informed consumers and guardians, our actions become a true reflection of our values.
- Independent, nonprofit 501(c)3 organization
- Formed in 2009
- Funded by donations from the public and grants
- Educate approximately 14,000 people per year
Paws and Learn Humane Education Center was created to teach children and adults about responsible pet care and animal welfare. Our goal is to provide a free public education program to help people make informed, humane and conscientious choices affecting animals. We seek to improve the quality of care that companion animals receive, reduce animal abandonment, and promote compassion and respect for all living things.
- All life is connected
- All life should be respected
- Everyone has basic needs, both physical and emotional, and those needs deserve to be met
- Our choices can have far-reaching effects
- Spread awareness about issues affecting animals and the environment
- Instill values of respect, responsibility and compassion for animals, each other and our planet
- Help people take action and make choices that promote empathy and respect for all living things
- Facilitate the understanding and awareness of our responsibility to care for each other and the environment in a humane manner through presentations and events.
- Develop and implement community outreach initiatives to PreK-12 schools, educators, universities, senior citizens, and faith-based organizations to increase public awareness of humane education and animal welfare.
- Develop partnerships and networking with local and national organizations on humane education and animal welfare.
School Program - Presentations are provided free of charge to schools throughout Los Angeles County year-round on a daily basis. We visit all grades from pre-k through high school and address a wide variety of animal topics at an age-appropriate level. These character building, interactive lessons encourage critical thinking and empathy awareness.
Community Outreach - Presentations are provided free of charge to adult groups, universities, churches and senior centers. Themes include responsible pet care as well as animal welfare issues. We are also available via phone and email to assist the public with their animal-related questions and issues.
Public Events - We staff informational tables at community events throughout the year, distributing educational material and spreading awareness of resources available to the public.
Consultations - We believe humane education should be available in every community. To help achieve this, we provide free phone consultations to assist those interested in starting a humane education program in their own community.
Website - Our website is a comprehensive resource for the community whether someone is thinking about adopting, already has a pet, or wants information on animal welfare issues. It also provides follow up activities to both students and teachers in the hope that humane education will continue in the classroom long after our presentations are over.